i was just thinking how much i like mashups: "a song or composition created from the combination of the music from one song with the a cappella from another. A mash-up is a song created out of pieces of two or more songs, usually by overlaying the vocal track of one song seamlessly over the music track of another. In full swing at the end of the 20th century, mashups have been described positively as "ultimate post-modern pop song[s]" or "'culture jamming in its purest form'". [wikipedia]
here are some reasons i like them:
- they take the catchiest part of tune and use it shamelessly
- they use samples that you would need to have hundreds of millions of dollars to get clearance for
- they subvert the pop form
- they are all about enjoyment against money-making
here are some great examples so you can check it yourself...
- stereogum (in association with team9 - hey jono, they're aussies!) releases a free annual mashup compilation: vol3, vol2, vol1
- girl talk is one of the best-known mashup artists: his latest album is available on a pay what you want basis.
- and then there's 'bootie' - a mashup party in usa. each year they release a free 'best of' compilation: 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005.
just a slight word of warning: because rap vocals are easy to lift, a lot of mashups use them, and there is corresponding bad language in places.